Community Advocacy Project Coordinator
LOCATION: Niagara Falls
REPORTS TO: Director of Passage Domestic Violence Services
The Community Advocacy Project Coordinator is responsible for supporting all aspects of the Domestic Violence program in addition to demonstrating knowledge of the mission and services of FACS.
- Master’s in Social Work preferred. Bachelor’s in Social Work required (with 3+ years direct service experience)
- Valid NYS Driver License and use of personal vehicle during work hours
- Extensive related clinical knowledge of family issues including family violence
- Experience in collaboration with community partners
- Knowledge of family violence dynamics and experience in group work
- Ability to use Microsoft applications (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.), Internet/Intranet, web based databases. Understanding of the use of email in the workplace
- Conducts interviews to assess client dynamics and implement treatment plans for family violence victims and their children. Evaluates service provided
- Recruits, trains and supervises interns in the Community Advocacy Project philosophy in collaboration with our community partner
- Coordinates field placement with educational institution per agreed upon standards
- Provides community advocacy and safety planning according to treatment plans for families residing in PASSAGE House and for families in the community
- Educates clients in advocacy and navigation skills through various community services
- Actively engages in and provides educational presentations on domestic violence and related topics to community agencies, businesses and organizations
- Reports all suspected incidences of child abuse/neglect to NYS Hotline with supervisory approval.
- Coordinates non-residential support groups
- Actively engages and provides staff presentations on domestic violence.
- Possesses current knowledge of community referral resources for counseling, financial support, medical services/support, education/training, employment, housing, etc. for client referral and follow-up.
- Networks with other service providers to assist with client needs
- Collaborates with community referral resources and facilitates linkages as appropriate
- Attends court and Department of Social Services proceedings for client advocacy as appropriate
- Facilitates groups for adults and/or children from DV families to offer support and education on domestic violence
- Coordinates with Passage House staff to respond to hotline calls, respond to emergent client needs, plan coverage of shelter/hotline for the day in order to ensure shelter safety and that client needs are met during daytime hours
- Maintains thorough client files/statistics/client closings on a timely basis and documenting daily activities. Assists with information for reports to funding bodies
- Educates the community at large regarding FACS agency services and PASSAGE Program services/DV educational material when requested or appropriate
- Participates actively in regularly scheduled supervision with Program Director and participates actively with this process
- Performs other duties as assigned by Administration
- Program interns
- Non-residential Group Facilitators
- Child Enrichment worker
- Job performed primarily in a shelter/residential setting and modern office building
- Frequent local travel
- Occasional Lifting (15 pounds or less)
- Occasional standing/sitting
- Moderate Stress
- Occasional PC/computer work
- Complies with all policies and procedures of FACS (including NASW Code of Ethics, Collective Bargaining Agreement, and corporate Compliance Policies) and all governmental and legal requirements.
- Attends and participates in appropriate agency staff trainings and meetings.
- Advocates for cultural diversity/sensitivity as appropriate.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of this position.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Attn D. Carella – HR Director
1522 Main Street
Niagara Falls, NY 14305
or email to: