“Bringing families the tools they need to ensure a successful tomorrow.”
Family & Children’s Service of Niagara believes that healthy children and families help create a healthy community. Our programs provide a wide range of services to provide parents with the support and education they need to successfully raise their children. Because the early years are so important, our services help children be the best they can be by the time they start school. Services are provided through home visitation and in group and community settings.
For more information or to see if you and your family qualify for services, call 716-285-6984.
Healthy Families Niagara
Healthy Families Niagara is a comprehensive, home-based services program designed to help “at risk” parents meet the challenges of parenting young children and to ensure healthy child development. A family can continue in the program until the child is five years of age or enters Headstart. Healthy Families services are currently available to residents of Niagara County who live in Niagara Falls and Lockport.
Single and two parent families who are currently expecting or the parents of a newborn less than three months old are screened by a Family Assessment Worker to determine eligibility.
The goal of Healthy Families Niagara is to:
- Ensure that the family’s basic needs are met.
- Promote a healthy pregnancy, labor and delivery.
- Enhance the parents’ understanding of healthy child growth and development.
- Strengthen the parent-child relationship.
- Improve parental skills to optimize the home environment.
- Improve the family support system through linkages with other community resources.
- Increase the family’s ability to problem solve.
- Strengthen the family’s ability to advocate for themselves and their children.
For more information or to see if you qualify for services, call 716-285-6984 to schedule an appointment with the Family Assessment Worker.
Prevent Child Abuse NY www.preventchildabuseny.org
Parents as Teachers www.parentsasteachers.org
Healthy Families New York www.healthyfamiliesnewyork.org
Children with involved, loving fathers are significantly more likely to do well in school, have healthy self-esteem, exhibit empathy and pro-social behavior, and avoid high-risk behaviors such as drug use, truancy, and criminal activity compared to children who have uninvolved fathers.
FROM THE NATIONAL FATHERHOOD INITIATIVE (NFI) WEBSITE
The objectives of the Fatherhood Initiative are to increase men’s awareness of their importance in the life of their child and to improve their understanding of positive parent-child interaction. Fatherhood services are open to dads, step-dads, non-custodial fathers and father figures living in Niagara Falls or Lockport, whose family members are enrolled in the Healthy Families Niagara Program.
The Fatherhood program provides these “dads” with the support they may need:
- To keep up-to-date on healthy child development, discipline and parenting.
- To enhance father-child relationships.
- To connect fathers with community services, programs and resources.
- To provide information and referrals regarding employment, education and job training.
For more information about the Healthy Families Fatherhood Initiative call 716-285-6984.
National Fatherhood Initiative www.fatherhood.org
Group services are available to families enrolled in the Healthy Families Niagara program, as well as to other families of young children in the community. Groups are offered on a monthly basis in Niagara Falls and Lockport during the school year. There are no groups in July and August.
Upcoming topics include: